The article is about one of the hot & interesting topic going amongst Indian fans nowadays which is – who should lead India? However, India is still doing good under Virat Kohli’s captaincy.
Why this debate?
There are several reasons behind this debate lets cover one by one.
- Most of the fans don’t like Kohli’s extra aggression sometimes.
- India has done well in ICC events but still, they were never good enough to grab a trophy in Virat’s captaincy.
- May be fans like Rohit’s calm nature much like Msd.
- Also, Rohit proved himself whenever he got a chance such as the Asia Cup, Nidahas Trophy.
- Rohit has 4 IPL title under his belt as an IPL captain whereas Kohli has none.
Other options India has 😉
Maybe one could think ‘KL Rahul’ as another option keeping Rohit’s & Virat’s age factor in mind but that surely wouldn’t be ideal move at this time.
Pros & cons of removing Virat as a captain
- New refreshing energy will come into the side.
- May change India’s luck in big events.
- Less burden on Kohli as he is playing all formats.
- Flexibility in giving rest to top guns like Kohli, Dhawan.
- May break teams consistency to play under different captains in different formats.
- Will affect Kohli’s self-confidence.
- Pace attack may degrade, as we all know Kohli is bowler’s captain who shows huge faith in fast bowlers.
Few examples of Kohli’s captaincy flaw
- Suppose opposition needs 20 in 2 overs & he has overs from Bumrah & Tim Southee, then he will give 19th over to Southee which is a very bad move. If Rohit or MS found themselves in the same situation then they would definitely opt Bumrah to bowl 19th.
- Poor team selection ( playing with 2 spinners on lords, going with Umesh in place of Bhuvi in Perth, sending Pant & Pandya above Msd in 2019 WC semifinal).
- According to sources he went against Kumble’s decision of batting first in the Champions Trophy final which eventually cost India, a champions trophy.
Positives in Kohli’s captaincy
- Gives everyone the freedom to express themselves.
- Always back youngsters on & off (in media) the field.
- Attacking moves like going for a win in test matches (even India has done exceptionally well in the test under his captaincy).
- Ability to build a ruthless bowling attack especially in the overseas test.
- Doesn’t matter how worst the situation becomes, he always makes sure – his team must fight till last breath (Recent NZ T-20 series is a perfect example of that).
See why do Harsha Bhogle thinks Kohli is superior when he captains a side
Why removing Kohli as a captain will be a bad idea
No matter what the world thinks, we should back our captain at least till ICC world T-20 this year & let’s see what happens after that.
I have seen a few fans who always roasts Kohli unnecessarily just because of the fact he has achieved the things which their favourite player hasn’t. Still, I feel Virat should be backed & we shouldn’t blame him for each & every bad thing which happens to Indian cricket.
Share this article with your friends & see what they think about the above topic.