One bad performance and everybody forgets who you are. Talking about the biggest chokers in world cricket many people would think about South Africa.
Who is the biggest choker in world cricket? People think South African cricket team but in the recent past, we have seen the same with Indian cricket team as well.
Why India has become the biggest choker in world cricket?
India in ICC events knockout Since Champions Trophy 2013
|2014||T-20 WC Final, men||LOST|
|2015||WC Semi-final, men|
|2016||T-20 WC Semi-final, men|
|WC Final, U-19 men|
|2017||CT Final, men|
|WC Final, women|
|2018||T-20 WC Semi-final, women|
|2020||WC Final, U-19 men|
|T-20 WC Final, women|
As we can see from the above stats India hasn’t performed well in the knockouts (Semi-finals & finals) since the ICC Champions Trophy 2013.
People have termed Virat Kohli who is undoubtedly the best batsman of the era as “biggest choker in Indian cricket” without even noticing how exceptional he performed in the 2014 T-20 World Cup semi-final & final. Even he is up to the mark in the virtual quarter-final & semi-final of 2016 T-20 World Cup.
Fans Poll to Identify the reason behind India’s Loss
- 2014 T-20 World Cup, men – Yuvi’s Innings?
- 2015 WC Semi-final, men – Over reliant on Kohli?
- 2016 T-20 WC Semi-final, men – Luck, Lendl Simmons, dew at Wankhede?
- 2016 WC Final, U-19 men – Collapse of the top order, Ishan Kishan’s poor form?
- 2017 CT Final, men – Poor Decision at the toss, Bumrah’s no-ball, a rift between Kohli and Kumble?
- 2017 WC Final, women – Lack of match winners down the order?
- 2018 T-20 WC Semi-final, women – Dropping Mitali Raj in a big match?
- 2019 WC Semi-final, men – Weather, luck, immaturity of Pant and Pandya, Dhoni’s runout?
- 2019 WC Final, U-19 men – Underestimating Bangladesh, rain?
- T-20 WC Final, women – Drop catches, a counterattack on Poonam Yadav by the Aussies?
“It’s better to peak early than not to peak at all” – Rahul Dravid to Naseer Hussian while commentary.
If you look at the positive side India is the most consistent team in the ICC tournaments. Unlike other Asian teams and other chokers of world cricket at least India is playing Semis in every ICC event.
And not going into the 2021 T-20 World Cup as favourites might change India’s fortune 🙂
We fans keep on wondering what went wrong but certainly, luck factor also played a part, maybe destiny, luck & whatever the extra factors which a team need India didn’t have in recent past but the key here is to be optimistic & hopeful.
We will keep on supporting our team. Hope our poor streak in knockouts will come to an end in 2021 T-20 World Cup.
Hope you guys like the post. Let me know in the comment section what you feel about this.
Do me a favour by sharing this 🙂